Student safety on campus and at school events is a high priority of the District. Although the District has implemented safety procedures, the cooperation of students is essential to ensuring school safety. A student is expected to:
- Avoid conduct that is likely to put the student or others at risk.
- Follow the behavioral standards in the Student Handbook and Student Code of Conduct, as well as any additional rules for behavior and safety set by the Campus Directors, Teachers, or other Administrators.
- Remain alert to and promptly report to a school personnel any safety hazards, such as intruders on campus, threats made by any person toward a student or staff member.
- Know emergency evacuation routes and signals.
- Follow immediately the instructions of school personnel who are overseeing the welfare of students.
- Practice Internet Safety.
Emergency School Closures
If the need arises to delay opening, close campus, or restrict access to the building because of an emergency, the District will alert the community in the following ways:
District Website, automated calling service, automated email, local media, and texting service (for subscribers).
SCHOOL SAFETY & SECURITY COMMITTEE
Under provisions of TEC Section 37.109, and district policy, the School Safety and Security Committee (SSSC) is established by the Board of Trustees.
The responsibilities of the SSSC shall include, but are not limited to:
Developing and implementing emergency plans, consistent with the district multi-hazard emergency operations plan, to ensure that specific campus, facility, and support service needs are addressed.
- Periodically providing recommendations to the Board and Superintendent regarding updating the district multi-hazard emergency operations plan, in accordance with established best practices.
- Providing the district with any campus, facility, or support services information required in connection with safety and security audit or other reports.
- Reviewing each report required to be submitted by the district to the Texas School Safety Center to ensure that the report contains accurate and complete information regarding each campus, facility, and support services in accordance with established criteria.
- Consulting with local law enforcement agencies on methods to increase law enforcement presence near district campuses.
For information, contact:
December 17, 2020 at 3:00 p.m. - Agenda - Video - Minutes
April 13, 2021 at 3:00 p.m. - Agenda - Minutes
June 15, 2021 at 3:00 p.m. - Agenda- Minutes
November 29, 2021 at 3:00 p.m. - Agenda - Minutes
February 22, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. - Agenda - Minutes
June 28, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. - The Grove in Tyler - Agenda - Minutes
September 8, 2022 at 10:30 a.m. - Ornelas Activity Center - Agenda - Minutes
January 12, 2023 at 10:30 a.m. - Ornelas Activity Center - Agenda (Minutes)
July 20, 2023 at 10:30 a.m. - UT Tyler Main Campus HPR 262 - Agenda - (Draft of Minutes)
November 9, 2023 at 10:30 a.m.- Ornelas Activity Center- Agenda
February 22, 2024 at 10:30 a.m.
July 18, 2024 at 10:30 a.m.
UT Tyler's Environmental Health & Safety and Campus Police Department help oversee and guide the safety and security of University Academy.